Rasta colors in flag often make use of the colours red, black, green, and gold. Red, gold, and green were used in the Ethiopian flag while, prior to the development of Rastafari, the Jamaican black nationalist activist Marcus Garvey had used red, green, and black as the colours for his United Negro Improvement Association.
According to Garvey, the red symbolised the blood of martyrs, the black symbolised the skin of Africans, and the green represented the vegetation of the land. Many Rastas endorse these associations to the colours.
The colour gold is often included alongside Garvey’s three colours; it has been adopted from the Jamaican flag, and is often interpreted as symbolising the minerals and raw materials which constitute Africa’s wealth.
Rastas often paint these colours onto their buildings, vehicles, kiosks, and other items, or display them on their clothing, helping to demarcate Rastas from non-Rastas and allowing adherents to recognise their co-religionists.
As well as being used by Rastas, the colour set has also been adopted by Pan-Africanists more broadly, who use it to display their identification with Afrocentricity; for this reason it was adopted on the flags of many post-independence African states.
Rastas often accompany the use of these three or four colours with the image of the Lion of Judah, also adopted from the Ethiopian flag and symbolizing Haile Selassie
Of significant influence on Rastafari was the Jamaican-born activist Marcus Garvey, who spent much of his adult life in the United States and United Kingdom. Garvey supported the idea of global racial separatism and rejected the idea that black people of African descent living in the Americas should campaign for their civil rights; instead he believed that they should migrate en masse back to Africa.
AZ FLAG Ethiopia Mini Banner 6” x 4” – Ethiopian Pennant 15 x 10 cm
- Finishing : Printed on both sides
- Hanging : Gold plastic rod and suction cup hanger to attach to glass surface
- Gold fringe trim edging the flag – Made in China
- Use : Car mirror
- Packaging : polybag with AZ FLAG brand
hxflag 3×5 Fts Ethiopia Flag with Lion Flag – Lion of Judah Rasta Colors Flags
- Size:3 X 5 Fts,Approximately 90 X 150 CM,Made of 100% Polyester.
- Flag Color Is Bright,Vivid And UV fade resistant,eco friendly dye
- Double Line stitching edges,Strong Header with 2 Brass Grommets.
- Package contains one Flag,Flag Pole Not Included
- This Flag is Light-Weighted,Not Recommend for Super Windy Outdoors