Skip to content
Your muscles ache from a good stretch. This is quite normal and is part of the process. Stretching has seemingly been with us and particular with athletes since the beginning of time.
So what kind of benefits can you expect from stretching? That’s an easy one. Have you ever seen the movie, Blood Sport? Did you know that Frank Dux could truly stretch his body to the extreme. The actor that played him was quite elastic as well.
Great elasticity is also something you might see in well trained Spetsnaz(Russian)agents. They often work out with Russian kettlebells too. They are for superior strength gains and the ability to withstand ballistic shocks.
Why are stretching and flexibility considered important to these people?
1) Stretching gives one the ability to have explosive power available at one’s fingertips without the need to warm up. Of course most of us are not martial artists or agents. But, you’ll be happy to know there are plenty of other benefits.
Let me give you an example. After learning to sit in the full lotus position for long periods of time, my ankles became very flexible. One day I was walking along and my left foot fell into a pothole. This mishap pushed my ankle sideways to about 90 degrees from it’s normal position.
Amazingly, this didn’t even hurt, not one bit. If my ankle hadn’t been so flexible, I may have suffered a sprained ankle. At the very least, it would have hurt for days.
2) stretching helps us to avoid injuries. Not only that but if you do have a muscle, tendon or ligament injury it should heal faster, theoretically speaking.
Stretching actually grows the ligaments, tendons and muscles being stretched. They really grow longer over time.
3) Stretching provides massage to all your organs and glands including the prostate which never gets external stimulation. The gent stretching of your muscles and joints when doing yoga maximizes blood flow in your body enabling your body to flush toxins, provide nourishment to your body and in turn slows aging and increases energy.
4) By stretching and using muscles to hold many of these positions, Yoga helps to tone the body provide correct posture and keep your body tone and firm.
Yoga is an excellent exercise which helps with all aspects of your life both mentally and physically. Yoga has been used to improve sleep, decrease pain in joints, increase energy, range of motion and also has many psychological benefits and may contribute to you to lose weight without exercise.
An exercise like Yoga through the bending and stretching of the spine builds strength, endurance and lowering the stress hormone that cause aging. The reduction of stress will reduce the acid conditions within the body and enabling your body to intake more oxygen. It also balances the nervous system helping to reduce depression and anxiety and increases your concentration and enhances your mood.
5) Yoga when practiced regularly puts your body in a positive healthy state. This in turn puts you mind in a positive healthy state which helps to keep your body looking and felling good.
Yoga provides a continuous loop of positive well being and continual rejuvenation. The stretching also contribute to improving your posture allowing you to stand straighter with your back erect and your hamstrings fully stretched and flexible leaving you in a alert and confident state.
Yes it is true that people are living longer today but the real question is what is their quality of life? If you have the option to start now and exercise your body using a low impact stretching and toning exercise, enabling your body and mind to get into a place of optimal health and well being or to have to rely on doctors to poke and prod at you and prescribe medications after medication what would your choice be?
Hopefully as yoga grows in popularity citizens of the world will enjoy the benefits of this low impact exercise and increase the positive energy in their mind and bodies enabling them to live longer and healthier lives.